Wondering how to make Valentine’s Day special this year?
Make your Valentine’s Day celebration magical by celebrating in Ski Country! Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a skier. North Conway New Hampshire is one of National Geographic’s top 25 ski towns in the world!
Have you wondered how today’s Valentine traditions began?
History claims Saint Valentine was imprisoned in Roman times for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. According to legend, Saint Valentine wrote a letter before his execution to the daughter of his jailer signed “Your Valentine” as farewell. Sharing cards was started and today Valentine’s Day has become the second most card sending holiday after Christmas!
It wasn’t until 18th century England when expressing love for one another by presenting flowers, confections and sending greeting cards became a tradition. Today celebrations can be romantic or silly, elaborate or simple, and everything in between!
With colder temps, you’ll want to snuggle closer whether you are simply going for a walk, riding in a sleigh or sitting by a crackling fire. Add falling snow or a snow covered landscape, and everything becomes special and somehow so quiet and peaceful making your moment something for two to share.
Will you are sharing the day with someone special or perhaps you plan to pop the question for a lifetime together? Here are just a few ways to make your celebration memorable.
- Enjoy the simple things in life – relax in front of a wood-burning fireplace. With the hectic pace of life today, time shared together in front of a warm fire is a real treat!
- Be a kid again – ride one of the area’s mountain coasters or fly through the sky together on a zipline!
- Winter romance at it’s best – snuggle together in a horse drawn sleigh ride for two or take a spin around a skating rink under the stars.
- For some special time together – head out onto the trails on snowshoes to enjoy the quiet of winter.
- For a sweet time – visit the Bavarian Chocolate Haus in nearby North Conway Village for handmade chocolates.If you can’t get away for Valentine’s Day, take care of your chocolate cravings at the Annual Chocolate Festival held the last Sunday in February. This has become known as the Sweetest Day on the Trails when you cross country ski or snowshoe between trailside stops to enjoy a different chocolate treat!
A visit any day to Stonehurst Manor in North Conway, NH is romantic if you can’t getaway on February 14th. Settle into a fireside chair in the Library Lounge, enjoy complimentary hors d’oeuvres passed most afternoons from 5 – 6 pm, then enjoy a delicious dinner in their Wild Rose Restaurant which is included with your room!